Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Cuban Experience

The entire experience in Cuba was amazing. From the first day to the last, I have no complaints about anything. Getting into the country sucked, but that doesn’t really count. Once there, it was all good. All of the people I met were great; the food, the rum, the music were all great as well. The places we visited around the city were amazing, as was the beach and all of the old cars.  There are problems, of course, just as there are problems everywhere. The streets all seemed well maintained, but the sidewalks were horrendous in many areas.

The thing that stands out the most for me is the people. The people I met while in Cuba are almost universally friendly. Especially the people involved with Okan Tomi and Espiral. The time we spent with them is an experience I will never forget and will treasure for the rest of my life. Even if I never lay eyes on any of them again, my memories of them all will be fond. I was able to get to know a few people fairly well, and whether it was at the theater, at dinner, at the beach, or playing dominoes, I always had a good time. The performances by Okan Tomi are wonderful, and the work done by Espiral is equally wonderful. There are several Cubans who may come to Nebraska, and I hope they are able to make it. Given future opportunities, I will not hesitate to go to Cuba again and again. And given an opportunity, you should go as well.

The food was always good, with the pork and chicken dishes being my favorites. I am not much of a seafood eater, but I did try the fish once and it was tasty. Pizza and Italian are popular as well. There are two local beers which are both good. Mojitos are a popular drink, but without a doubt, my drink of choice while in the country was rum and cola, which is called a Cuba Libre. It is made with the locally produced rum called Havana Club. One of my stops while in Havana was at the Rum Museum, which was small but interesting.

As a group we watched live bands play on several occasions. We went to a jazz club and a place called the Yellow Submarine, along with a few others. The Yellow Submarine (yes, named for the Beatles) was a great club and had a really good band playing. Between sets there was an eclectic and great mix of music videos. The jazz band we saw was full of super talented musicians and put on a great performance. Speaking of musicians, the percussionists of Okan Tomi are amazing as well. They are the driving musical force behind the dances the group performs. The dances are mesmerizing and completely amazing. Unfortunately there is no way to put it into words how great they truly are. Hopefully they will be able to perform at the Orpheum someday and you will be able to see for yourself.

Cuba is completely misunderstood by the majority of Americans. Do not confuse politics or ideas about Castro with the Cuban people. The people are not so very different from us, and hopefully, someday soon, everyone will be able to experience the greatness of Cuba.
---
Jeff Wattier

No comments:

Post a Comment